You will need:
- 350g plain flour
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 100g soft butter
- 1 medium egg
- 4 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- Gingerbread man cutter
- Raisins, edible silver balls, chocolate chips, smarties, chopped nuts ,coloured sprinkles and white icing for decorating your gingerbread man.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Using your fingertips, mix dry ingredients together (flour sugar, butter, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda) until mixture is crumbly.
- Add syrup and egg to the mixture until it becomes firm.
- Using the rolling pin, roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick. Make sure the surface and the rolling pin are well dusted with flour. Cut out the shapes and place on a baking tray
- Place in the pre-heated oven. Remove after 15 minutes (check after 10 minutes).
- This is when the fun starts! Decorate your gingerbread man and watch his character grow!