Creating these easy to make paper mache bowls is a great sensory experience for children. Tearing the newspaper into strips and dipping them into the bowl of flour paste is messy fun and strengthens children’s fine motor skills too. What a great activity!
Your child can also enjoy painting the bowls with their creative flairs!
Your child’s paper mache bowls will make gorgeous presents for special occasions too!
You will need:
- A bowl for your mould (any size)
- Newspaper (torn into thin strips)
- Maizena/ flour mixed with water
- Place your bowl upside down.
- Cover the bowl with Vaseline or sunflower oil.
- In a another bowl mix maizena /flour and water into a semi thick consistency.
- Tear newspaper into thin strips.
- Place the newspaper strips around the bowl, pasting it with your flour mix, making sure that the newspaper is well covered with the flour paste.
- Ensure that you bowl is evenly covered , and has added newspaper strips around the edges and bottom of the bowl .
- Continue with several layers, smoothing it around the bowl until firm.
- Place your bowl in the sun or in a low temperature in the oven, until dry and hard.
- Using a knife, carefully loosen the rim of the bowl with the knife, and remove the paper mache mould. (Adult only)
- Paint your bowl. You can also varnish your bowl after the paint has dried.